Coconut sugar is a type of palm sugar manufactured from the sap of the flower stem of a coconut palm. It is a widely used sweetener that has no pronounced health benefits over the others. It is also called coconut palm sugar. To understand its uses, one must learn a few other things about coconut sugar.
Manufacturing of coconut sugar
The manufacturing of coconut palm sugar is a simple process with two steps. These steps are listed below.
- The flower of the coconut palm is cut and, the liquid sap is collected in vessels or containers.
- The sap is heated until most of the water is evaporated. The coarse crystals are left behind.
The end product of this process is granulated and brown in color coconut sugar. The size of the granules is comparatively smaller than white sugar. In the crux, the dehydrated sap of the coconut palm is coconut sugar.
Coconut sugar vs normal sugar
The normal table sugar and corn syrup with a high fructose content contain no nutrients as such. However, coconut sugar contains some of the nutrients from coconut.
These include minerals like zinc, iron, potassium, and calcium. It also contains some long-chain fatty acids like antioxidants and polyphenols. It also contains inulin fiber which retards the absorption of glucose. Thus, it has a lower glycemic index. But, coconut sugar is made up of 70-80% of fructose.
Uses of Coconut Sugar
Coconut sugar is an easy substitute for normal sugar in most baked delights. It has an earthy flavor that makes it taste heavenly when mixed with butter. But, it tastes delightful in some savory recipes as well.
Here are some of the amazing uses of coconut palm sugar.
- Red velvet cake – The most delicious recipe for red velvet cake combines wholewheat flour, beetroots, and coconut sugar. The earthy flavors are a bit of an acquired taste but, the taste is always incredible.
- Coconut soup with veggies – This is a very nourishing soup with veggies of choice. Mushrooms, bok choy, onions, and any other veggies with coconut milk and coconut sugar.
- Coconut milk tea or latte – Coconut milk and brown sugar are the best combinations to make the tea or latte healthy and warm.
Coconut palm sugar is a versatile ingredient with a place in both savory and sweet dishes. Keeping the health factor aside is the best way to introduce delicious earthy flavors to any dish.